Monday, December 27, 2010

An Impulse for Resolution

As we approach the New Year, the thoughts of many turn to Resolutions.  Such resolutions often include things like losing weight, exercising more, saving money, or any of a million other things directed at "better" behavior.

What drives this impulse for Resolutions?  Is it a knowledge that we are less than our best?  Is it a result of fear that our unchanged behavior will result in unpleasant consequence?  Is it something deeper?  Is it an impulse ingrained deeply within that tells us we can rise above our current nature?

Beyond the drive for improving oneself, however, must be a force in opposition to that impulse.  Why else would we almost universally fail in our endeavors?

That isn't to say that there aren't victories.  But, it has been my observation that a victorious resolution is almost always accompanied by failure in a new and often unexpected area.

Is it merely human nature that gives us both the impulse to improve and yet causes us to face new and unexpected challenges?  I don't think so.  I think that we are so absorbed by "ourselves" that we fail to see a much bigger picture.  I think it is part of the cosmic battle between good and evil, right and wrong, growth and decay, God and Satan.

Could it be that God plants in our human nature a desire to be like Him?  If so, it is only expected that Satan would oppose that desire. 

Some belief systems would have us accept that there must always be a balance between opposing forces.  I've never been one to accept the status quo.  I believe in victory.  I believe good will ultimately defeat evil.  I believe that right will overcome wrong.  I believe that each individual can grow as long as they are nourished properly.  I believe that life can overcome death.  Fortunately, the Author of Life has provided the way.

John 14:6

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me...."

John 16:33

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

1 comment:

jbboren said...

A few years back, I resolved to not make any further New Year's resolutions.

So far, I've been very successful at keeping that one!

:-)

Google