Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Random Spring-ish Thoughts

We've had several days of nice weather.  It's that time of year!  However, it is our rainy season and it is supposed to start later today and continue with a significant chance of rain for the next 2 weeks.  I saw a forecast yesterday that indicated cumulative totals of almost 10 inches of rain expected here over that period.  It's hard to get much done outside when the weather is like that.

Springtime is interesting in that everything kicks into "growth mode."  Along with it, though, comes the desire to clean and repair and combat the crazy growth that is everywhere.  We start mowing the lawn again and weeding the flower beds and then plant something else in place of the weeds.

Growing up in dry country where the only trees were those planted by people, we have really enjoyed the trees here.  This time of year the trees take up a lot of moisture.  The weight of all of that water is in their limbs and leaves.  If there is any disease, or weakness in those limbs, they often break from the weight of all of the water in them -- especially if the wind gets up such as during a thunderstorm.

One of the things that attracted us to the house we are in was a giant willow oak tree that was in the back yard.  I'm certain I have posted about it in the past.  It was ancient and had a lot of weak and diseased spots throughout.  This time of year was always hazardous because that tree would shed limbs.  We had damage to the roof on the house and extensive damage to our garage from falling limbs.  That tree is gone now.  We had to have it removed.

We still have several large trees that are at risk of shedding limbs, or even of breaking.  There is a large hackberry in our front yard that has a hollowed out area due to a previously removed limb that was not properly sealed.  One of these days it is likely to come crashing down.  I hope it doesn't fall on the house, but it could.

I know I have rambled a bit this morning.  There is lots on my mind and I suppose it comes out in the way I drift around in my writing.  Oh, well.  It is how I sort through things and organize my thoughts.  Right now I think I'll just get another cup of coffee and try to focus on a project that keeps calling from my "to do" list....

No comments:

Google