Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Electric Fence

Electric fences are fairly common in farming country.  Permanent fences are in the way when it comes time to plow, but an electric fence can be put up or, removed depending upon the season and the need.

Where we live now, electric fences are much less common than in the Texas Panhandle/South Plains area where I grew up.  Mostly the fences are of barbed wire.  It makes sense because there is very little farming other than for hay which often doubles as late season grazing after a couple of cuttings.

Growing up, I had plenty of opportunity to put up, take down and check electric fence.  I have been shocked by it many times and learned quickly that the wetter the ground, the harder the shock.  My tolerance for the electricity is fairly low and I prefer to avoid the jolt if possible.

I recall many years ago, when my Dad and I were checking fence on my Grandpa's place, discovering a break in the fence that needed repaired.  My Dad, who apparently had a high tolerance for the electricity, or enough mental discipline that he overcame the effects, grabbed the two ends of the broken wire, stretched them and tied them together while the electricity was pulsing through his arms as he completed the connection.  I could see his muscles tense with each surge of electricity.

The reason he did that rather than going back to the barn and turning off the current is that it was about 3/4 mile to the charger.  Rather than make that trek, he simply tied the wire.

We use electric fence around our hay meadow to extend our grazing season by utilizing that grass after the last hay cutting.  This year, due to drought, we only got one early cutting and are very short on hay, so that grazing is especially important.

There are some issues with electric fence in this part of the world that I didn't have to deal with in the drier portions of the state.  1)  There are trees around the outside of the hay meadow which frequently lose small branches and limbs which fall on the fence and knock it off of the insulators, or simply ground it.  2)  There are lots of feral hogs who attempt to go under the fence and often jump at the shock.  When they do they can tear up the fence.  3)  It often rains extreme amounts here and the entire hay meadow will flood.  The water washes tree branches and other debris out of the woods and into the fence.

Yesterday, after our first significant cold front and 3/4" of rain on top of already saturated ground, I walked the 3/4 mile down to the hay meadow to get the fence back in shape to hold cattle.  I walked because the ground was so wet I didn't want to drive on it because it would leave ruts and make the pasture rough.  I carried a little electric wire with me in the event it was needed and a few spare insulators.

As I headed toward the meadow, the cattle were grazing a different pasture, but upon completion of my fence repairs I wanted to move them to the meadow.  They were at least 1/2 mile from the gate into the meadow when I opened it.  I left it open thinking there was no way the cattle would find that open gate without some encouragement.  I was wrong.  It's a good thing I was able to get the fence repaired and "hot" again because before I could walk back up to the gate, the cattle had begun to drift into the meadow, grazing as they went.

I knew before I got to where I could see them that would be the case.  Apparently one of the cows discovered the open gate and I could hear her calling the others to her.  As I came up the hill to where I could see them, I observed them jogging in a steady line toward that open gate before entering, dropping their head and beginning to graze.  If you don't think cattle talk to each other, you aren't watching closely enough.

No comments:

Google