Sunday, September 2, 2018

Cycling Through the Night

Sometimes in the dark of night
I lie upon my bed
And think on all the many things
That dance within my head.

Of things that I forgot to do
Or, things that wait tomorrow
Or, things that happened in the day
Or, things that cause me sorrow.

My mind is oh, so restless
As I ponder on each thought
And then it shifts unmercifully
To other things unsought.

And I wonder if I'll ever fall
To sleep though hard I try
As I toss and turn about
In my bed there as I lie

Until I wake much later
Not knowing I have slept
But, find my thoughts on other things
Which in my mind have leapt.

But, for an instant
As I wake and come aware
Of some small noise in the night
That once might give me scare

And I remember dreaming,
Something twisted and confused,
Where thoughts of one thing
With another have been fused.

And so it goes throughout the night.
A pattern soon is seen
From waking to the depths of sleep,
To dreams of vivid scene.

Until the morning comes and eyes
Become of time aware
That it is the hour of rising
As at the numbers I do stare

And think, "How did my body know
That it was time to be awake
Without alarm a ringing
Or, my shoulder someone shake?"

This body that we dwell within,
Amazing as can be,
Is made so very special
As it seems so plain to me.

And I wonder how one e'er could doubt,
Oh, yes, I find it odd,
That some would ever question
We're made by the Hand of God.

[Sleep cycles intrigue me and I find it interesting to see how my Fitbit records them and then compare that to what I remember.  Our minds are amazing things.  I rarely use an alarm clock, but instead decide when I want to awake and almost always can do so within a minute or so of that time, if not precisely.]

No comments:

Google