Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Travel and Perseverance

Yesterday was a bit trying due to traveling difficulties. The flight on which I was to travel to Dallas and then Jacksonville was cancelled due to inclement weather in Dallas. There were no seats available on any other American flights that would get me to my destination so I transferred to Continental for a trip through Houston which at the time was still open.

After circling off the Texas coast for about 3 times at a location somewhere south of Freeport, the pilot came on and said, "folks, we're getting low on fuel and Houston is socked in by rain so we will be diverting to Corpus Christi."

OK. I like Corpus. It's a great place to visit -- if you're not stuck in a plane on the runway for 2 hours before they decide that it's time to offload and hike to the terminal to wait with the other 30 flights that were diverted there for the afternoon.

My original flight from Amarillo was to leave at 9:55 a.m. and arrive in Jacksonville around 3:40 in the afternoon. I left Amarillo at 1:30 and finally got out of Corpus Christi at 11:15 p.m. After arriving in Houston at Midnight, we learned that the earliest available seats to Jacksonville were on the 2:10 p.m. flight. All motels near the airport were filled so finally we found one about 20 miles away and caught a cab which took us to the "last available room in Houston" where our 2:00 a.m. check-in was salvaged by a night clerk that deserves a 'gold star' in my book. He fitted us with shaving kit, deodorant, toothpaste, etc. and it was off to bed.

I am waiting in the motel for the cab to arrive to deliver me back to the airport. I hope we get to Jacksonville before the storms reach there. The weather map looks like we should, but the way yesterday went, I have my doubts.

Today is a loss because it will be spent waiting and traveling. Once we reach Jacksonville it is about 2 hours by car to our destination in Southern Georgia. Fortunately (or unfortunately) there are 2 days of meetings left before flying out again on Friday. The forecast for Friday doesn't look promising.


"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." -- Romans 5:3-4

3 comments:

i beati said...

send some rain to South Florida please .. quote so very true . took me many years to learn it

That Janie Girl said...

I'm tellin' ya...fly Southwest. Fly Southwest. Fly Southwest. even if you have to rent a car to drive a couple of hours, it's worth it.

You know...you own stock!

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

Janie: You are dead on right. Trouble is I tried there first and ran into the same issues in Amarillo. Continental appeared to be the best option but turned out to be not so great. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Google