Thursday, March 10, 2011

Musings and Amusements

Often I will have the desire to write but, not the inspiration.  One might think the two would go hand-in-hand but, not always.  The desire comes from knowledge.  It is knowing that I should write.  Inspiration is knowing what to write.  Oh, for a Muse......

In many mythologies the Muse(s) play(s) a role.  Almost all agree that there are three muses, but, classical interpretations place the number at nine.  Whatever the number, it is generally agreed that they are feminine and inspire works of art -- typically either music or written word. 

According to Wikipedia (I laugh at myself when I find that I'm citing such a source) the British Poet, Robert Graves, popularized the concept of the Muse-poet in modern times.

"No Muse-poet grows conscious of the Muse except by experience of a woman in whom the Goddess is to some degree resident; just as no Apollonian poet can perform his proper function unless he lives under a monarchy or a quasi-monarchy. A Muse-poet falls in love, absolutely, and his true love is for him the embodiment of the Muse... But the real, perpetually obsessed Muse-poet distinguishes between the Goddess as manifest in the supreme power, glory, wisdom, and love of woman, and the individual woman whom the Goddess may make her instrument...

I suppose I have never been a particularly romantic poet, so, there might be some question as to how this might apply.  I suspect the above reference applies only to the Muse Erato whose domain is love poetry.  My Muse, if indeed I have one, must certainly be Euterpe whose realm is lyric poetry.  But, I suppose the argument could be made that my lyric poetry is often not particularly lyrical but, instead more closely resembles free verse.

I've often thought that I would enjoy trying my hand at epic poetry.  If I did so it would be necessary I suppose, to call upon Calliope in whose realm that would fall.  I have written some history but, to my knowledge never called upon Clio.  I have written what might be considered sacred poetry, but, my inspiration has been Jesus, my Savior, not Polyhymnia the Muse of that realm.

The other Muses are in areas that don't interest me.  The are:  Melpomene, the Muse of tragedy, Terpsichore, the Muse of dance and song (OK, I've definitely been into the song bit), Thalia, the Muse of comedy and finally, Urania, the Muse of astronomy.

I guess I am writing this piece merely for my aMUSEment.  Obviously, it can't be set to MUSic.  I suppose it is merely a product of my MUSings on why I must write.....

No comments:

Google