Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Getting It Together

You would think that after all of these years of writing I could get my act together.  I have things that I have written in about a "jillion" locations -- and nothing organized.  I have files of research that I would have to hunt half-a-day to find and then by the time that I found it, I would have forgotten why I was looking for it in the first place!

I've had a number of articles published through the years and many more that should/could have been.  It seems strange that I don't recall ever having one turned down for publication.  It could be because I'm picky about what I submit.

I've never written for the money, I write because I feel compelled to do so.  But, I have been paid for things that I have written.  Occasionally, pretty good money.  So, I ask myself, "Why don't I write more?"

That's a tough question to answer.  I guess it's because I've never depended on it for a living.  I've never had to write (except of course in school).  I've always supported myself in other ways.

I am working on a novel -- well, that could be a bit misleading.  It would be more accurate to say that I occasionally write a few pages in a novel that I've been working on for years.  I have about five chapters completed -- OK, that's probably not accurate either -- I have five chapters that will probably go through multiple revisions before I am satisfied with them.  I even have the outline of the complete story worked out in my head.  Sometimes, I think, that's the hardest thing -- a good outline.  If you don't know where you're going, how can you get there?

Back to my original thought -- I have files upon files, in multiple boxes, of things that I have written.  Everything from poetry and music to short stories and journals.  I think this is blog post number 545 on this blog and for awhile I maintained two other blogs.  So, why don't I do something more with my writing besides just accumulating it for posterity?  If you know the answer, please share it with me!  In the meantime, I will relieve the compulsion to write with blog posts such as this.

No comments:

Google