Friday, June 20, 2008

The Call of the Day

As I drove to work this morning I had the overwhelming sense that I needed to spend some time outdoors today. After the storms which passed through last night, the air had a special quality. The richness and depth of the blue sky was highlighted by the few remnant clouds on the horizon. It called to me.

It was a call -- not for working out in the sun -- for hiking, exploring, soaking in the vibrancy of the day. It has been a long time since I went hiking. Maybe I should head to Palo Duro Canyon and spend some time. I could go out to Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge.

The problem is that my task list is long. It seems that I have allowed the "little things that need done" to accumulate into a lengthy ordeal. If I was to take the afternoon off I would feel guilty if I didn't spend it "checking a few items off" from my list. It would detract from the enjoyment of the day. Or would it? Maybe I should find out.

Instead, I go to the office. I enter into another day of work. Opportunity lost?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Chris -

Thanks SO much for dropping by and leaving a comment at Finding Direction the other day!! And, you have another blog since I last checked with you. Cool!

I like this one the best, though. I was keeping up with you on a regular basis until just recently, but haven't commented in a very long time. I'll have to try to keep up, again. I like hearing from "home." (West Texas - Abernathy, for me.)

I'm glad you're having some better weather today. It's hard to work, isn't it, when the outdoors call. I hope you get to get out this weekend.

Cheers & Blessings to you all today!

Dee

Barbara Martin said...

The call to nature you received is a reminder for more time out to replenish your inner spirit. The air just after a recent rainfall has a clearness to it not replicated anywhere else. You ought to take some time, even an hour, out in nature and not feel guilty about it interfering with all those "million and one other things".

The opportunity wasn't lost, as you may think. For the brief moments you contemplated going to an area where you enjoy nature, you were reconnected to the divine. It's still there waiting for you when you have another moment.

i beati said...

My friend Jerry passed on yesterday at 6 in the morning . He had come out of a diabetic coma after 3 weeks and we were so hopeful but he coded twice. He married, raised a family fought in Viet Nam and always worked.He loved to fish but work came first. His fishing and Ag buddies started a fund for him. But at 57 he is gone..Jerry and I are life members of FFa.

That Janie Girl said...

You remind me I need to take some time to be out and about, myself.

You always make me think, Poet. Thanks.

ptg said...

You won't have lost anything truly irreplaceable until you lose the ability to hear that 'call'. Next time, remember ibeari's Jerry and how short life is.

Anonymous said...

Just go...

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

Anon: I know, I know.......

Google