Friday, March 14, 2014

Hounds Come Home

 
I don't know what came over me.....a pair of One-year old female Redbone Hounds now reside with us.  I have to plead temporary insanity. 
 
 
We had a male Redbone a little over 10 years ago.  We called him Beauregard -- Beau for short.  I have written about him.  He may have been my favorite dog we ever owned.  I'm not sure why.  I think it must be in my blood to like hounds.  It was Beagles and Bassets as a kid and Redbones as an adult.
 
 
 
Belle has a scent.  Beautiful classic trailing pose.
 
 
My grandfather on the maternal side was from Missouri.  He grew up with hounds.  His brother, my great-uncle Bill, raised hounds for many years -- mostly Walker's and Beagles.  At one time he probably had as many as 40 of them.  He was known throughout the Ozarks for the quality of his dogs.
 

 
Sadie posing for the camera.
 
 
My wife has been wanting a dog ever since we have been without one -- which has been several years.  She watches the Buy/Sell sites and the papers for them all the time.  Yesterday, she sent me a text about someone wanting to give away these two Redbones.  I think she knew my weakness for them.  I resisted going to look but, finally gave in.

 
Twinkies.  Litter mates.
 
 
I feared that if I looked I would bring them home.  I could list a dozen reasons not to get them.  But, I obviously gave in.  They needed a new home.  They had been well fed and given proper medical attention but, they just didn't have any room to run and be dogs.  It took me all of 30 seconds to make up my mind.  Sadie and Belle have a new home.

 
The squirrels don't have a chance.

No comments:

Google