Thursday, February 22, 2007

Out of the Rut

I am learning to play the fiddle (violin). It's a lot like teaching an old dog new tricks. It is taking a lot of patience and persistence.

Finding time to practice is often a challenge. Waiting until late when everyone is in bed is out of the question. The screeching would make it impossible for them to sleep. So, I usually try to get in a few minutes after supper. I know when I'm making a good impression on the household by the sound of the door to the basement closing because that's where they went to watch television and try to escape.

Occasionally some good notes come out. Whenever it doesn't sound like tires skidding on pavement, they are good notes. I cherish those brief moments.

So far, my attempts have been purely by ear. I know that lessons would be a good idea, but with my job it is difficult to know exactly when I will be available on a regular basis to take them. In the meantime, I'll muddle along to the best of my ability.

Most people are hesitant to take up something new at my age. It seems that most of us reach a point in life where we pretty much stick to what we know. The fiddle is a long-term project. I figure I've got the rest of my life to learn it. It's kind of like this blog. Sometimes you've just got to jump in and go -- whether you know what you're doing or not.

Learning the fiddle and starting a blog have both been good for me. I think they are helping to get me out of my rut. We all need something to kick us out of our ruts now and then. It's amazing what's out there in the world when you can see more than just the walls on either side and a tiny light in front of you. It has been my experience that too often that tiny light is on the front of a train.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so, is having a grandchild on the way helping to get you out of your rut? Are you even remotely excited about this new thing? It's going to be like learning a whole new thing...

Google