Sunday, August 17, 2014

Heritage of Scotland

I have been interested in my ancient family heritage for years.  The McClure Clan, of which I am a member, is a sept of Clan McCleod of Harris.  I've done a little research, but not a great deal -- just enough to learn that the earliest McClure's to come to the New World came in the early and mid 1700's.  James and Andrew are two of the most common male names in the family tree and are still found among my recent ancestors.

The interest in that history led me to "Like" a page on Facebook called "Heritage of Scotland."  The advantage of liking pages is the occasional item of interest they post.  It led me to explore their website. 

Those of you who know me will not be surprised that I'm not a good shopper.  I don't like to shop.  If I need something I go and buy it, but shopping for shopping's sake is no fun to me.  I did enjoy perusing the "Heritage of Scotland" site though.  I looked up my McClure clan tartan and found that I could order both formal and informal suits of clothing in that tartan -- kilt and all appropriate accessories.  I ended up spending a good deal of time viewing their site.  Yes, I even ordered.  Below are pictures:



The top photo is of one of the four mugs that I ordered.  They far exceeded my expectations.  They are G.W.P. Fine China -- made in Scotland!  They appear to be of excellent quality and the Celtic Design is flawless. 

The bottom photo is of one of the two Whiskey Glasses that I ordered.  There were numerous designs to choose from, but as you can see, I went with the etched map of Scotland.  They are the perfect size and design for the National Beverage of Scotland -- or, at least I think it is their national beverage -- Scotch.  However, for the non-Scotch drinkers, they also are perfect for your morning orange juice.  The bonus -- they are Burns Crystal -- also made in Scotland.  Beautiful.

I would encourage any of you who are so inclined to go take a look at their site.  It is interesting and easy to navigate.  Yeah, this sounds like a commercial -- and perhaps it is a bit of one -- but, it is a worthy one.  The wee bit o' Scottish blood in me compels me to promote the land of my roots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Chris, just a wee bit of information about the National drink...Scotch whisky (not whiskey with an e as that's the Irish and ultimately the US spelling)Best wishes Mary

Google