Saturday, January 11, 2014

Soggy Pastures

Over the past few weeks we have had a lot of rain.  When I try to put into perspective just how much rain we have received I am shocked because where I grew up, it would be about a year's worth.  One of the spells that came through dumped 11 inches on our ranch and flooded the creek.


Keep in mind that the bottom of the bridge in the above photo is at least 12 feet above the creek bed -- that is to the bottom of the beams which are about 18 inches -- so, the water had to have been about 14 foot deep to cover the bridge.

I am having to feed hay to the cattle this time of year too.  That means muddy tractor tracks in the area in front of the barn and hay lot and out to the feeders in the pasture.  It is quite the mess. 

Unless necessary to feed hay or supplement to the cattle, I try not to drive in the pasture when it is so wet.  The grass turf is actually pretty firm and I can drive over much of it without even leaving a track, but there are places where the water stands in marshy areas that can be pretty soft.  If you hit one of those with the tractor it leaves some deep ruts that you have to live with for a long time.

Where I grew up in the Texas Panhandle, we would receive 14 - 16 inches of rain in a year.  It usually came in the Spring or late Summer.  Here in East Texas, the rains come in the late Fall and Winter and then into the Spring.  It is the Winter rains that cause the problems because of having to feed the cattle.  The rest of the year there is plenty of grass and hay isn't needed.

I am not complaining about the rain.  I do wish that I didn't have such a mess where I've driven the tractor through it and created a few mud holes.  All that rain is really why we moved here to Northeast Texas.  It grows lots of grass and grass is what the cows eat. 

I don't really know the point of this Blog Post except to say, it rains in this part of the world.  I'll end with a few more photos.





No comments:

Google