Monday, October 28, 2013

Normally Abnormal -- Or, Do I That Backward?

I really don't know what normal is anymore.  Just when I start to see the edges of the rut rising on either side, they disappear into a trackless wilderness.  Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration -- but, not too much.

I am really not good at routine.  I want variety.  And yet, I find myself trapped within patterns of behavior that grow repetitive with time -- until they change.  Then, I find myself trapped within new patterns that become repetitious.  But, something upsets the pattern and change occurs until I find myself once again trapped within a pattern.....but, then, I repeat myself.

The familiar is comfortable.  The familiar leads to no place new.  So, if you don't like the way things are quit doing the same old things!  Do something new and different.  Escape your rut.  Head out across the trackless wilderness.  But, it's a good idea to leave a few breadcrumbs just in case.....

Sometimes I deliberately try to escape my rut.  I start to see the same old familiar pattern and I just decide to do something different.  A few times in the past I have escaped the rut with a career change.  No, not just a job change -- a career change.  Talk about send you skidding off across the landscape -- that will do it.  There are other times, though, when I have been kicked out of my rut.  The biggest one was being fired from a job of nine years.  Sometimes big companies just like to change things because they want to.  It may not have anything to do with performance.  It might be they just don't like honesty....

There are other times when the daily routine is interrupted by unexpected events.  It could be a visitor, an illness, a death, or, maybe a sick animal.  It can be backed up plumbing, a limb falling through the roof, or even a simple phone call.  OK, enough of examples.  You get the point.  What is routine?

I office from home.  That in itself throws a kink in things quite frequently.  Especially since I am rarely there; I am usually out making customer visits or sales calls.  So, what in the world is the point of this post?  I guess it is that I can't decide whether the normal for me is abnormal or, if I am just abnormally normal.  Does it really matter?

I think it is time to escape this rut.

1 comment:

Willy said...

I am always encouraged to get out of my comfort zone to something uncomfortable but productive. Soon the uncomfortable becomes the comfortable and it must be done again. As long as it is progressive this is a good thing.

Wisdom or not from Hillbilly Willy.

10-4.

Google