Sunday, October 6, 2013

Back to the Herd

Yep, I got her penned -- the cow that I needed to cull.  I have a little trap with good grass and water that is two fences away from the rest of the herd.  I put her in there to hold until sale day. 

I must admit that I was a little nervous about her staying in.  Yes, the fences are good but this particular cow could run the high hurdles in the Olympics and beat the field without touching a hurdle.  That was Wednesday night.  Thursday morning she was in with the other cows.  I couldn't find a broken or downed wire or anything.  I think she's a ghost.

What is it that makes us tend to be herd animals?  People are the same as that cow.  We want to think, and often express, that we are independent creatures -- that we do our own thing in spite of what others think.  The reality is that we all follow in pretty much the same paths.  We hang together.  Why else do we have huge cities scattered across the globe?

There are a lot of ways that I could go with this post, but I think I will go with the question of why do we seek companionship?  What is it about the way we are made that makes us desire to be with others rather than alone?

Some might say that it is fear born in the primal beginnings of our race that sought protection in numbers.  Perhaps that is correct.  I choose, however, to believe that God has created within us a desire for companionship with Him.  We need Him.  We need His protection, His guidance, His wisdom.  Within our innermost being we need God. 

It is difficult to see Him at times.  Yet, we each have a choice.  It is the choice of faith.  On a daily basis we have the opportunity to rely on ourselves or the frailty of other humans or, we can rely on God.  I choose God.  I have yet to meet a human that deserves my faith.  We all fail.  We all need the protection of the herd.  Only God stands beyond and above.

1 The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty;
the Lord is robed in majesty and armed with strength;
indeed, the world is established, firm and secure.
2 Your throne was established long ago;
you are from all eternity.  Psalm 93:1-2

No comments:

Google