Monday, September 30, 2013

Bug-eyed!

I have sat in front of this computer entirely too much today!  I'm used to seeing highway in front of me, not a computer screen.  My eyes are tired.  I need to look at some trees or green grass or something.

I have been fortunate for the past 20 years to have jobs that allowed me to be out of the office frequently.  I quite frankly get claustrophobic, grouchy and generally disagreeable if I am stuck in an office all day long.  I know it works for many people, but not for me.

Sometimes, though, office time is necessary.  I tend to let the office work build up more than I should.  I usually have good intentions of getting it done from the road, but it doesn't always work the way that I plan.  My list is long.  Yuck.

It is a good thing that we are all created differently.  With all of the variety in the types of jobs that need to be done, it seems there are people whose personality and likes fit each and every one of them.  When you think about that it is pretty amazing.

There is an often misquoted verse from Proverbs (Prov. 22:6) that says, "Train up a child in the way that he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."  A better translation might be, "Train a child according to the way he is bent and as he grows he will excel at it."  The word bent means essentially the way he is designed or made -- the "what makes him tick" part of him.

I am frequently taken back by people who do not fit well into their job or career or who seem maladjusted to life.  Often, when you dig beneath the surface, you will find that they followed someone else's advice and direction for their life rather than finding their own path.  When we are young we should look at our desires and dreams as clues to what we should do for the rest of our life.  I believe God plants them within us as guideposts to the role He made us to fulfill.  It is the best path to happiness.

24 “This is what the Lord says—
your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb:

I am the Lord,
the Maker of all things,
who stretches out the heavens,
who spreads out the earth by myself....  Isaiah 44:24

No comments:

Google