Wednesday, January 9, 2013

One of Those Days

I have come to strongly believe that the greater the resistance, the greater the likelihood that I am headed in the right direction.  If there was nothing opposing me, it would indicate that I am going with the flow and the best that I could expect is average.  I prefer above average at least and exceptional even better.

I am fighting the tide.  Swimming upstream.  Going against the flow.  Whatever you want to call it.  It just seems that the obstacles to progress in the direction I am headed grower higher and more frequent with every passing day.  I hate it and I love it.  I hate the protracted fight but I love the knowledge that I must be doing something right.

In the Star Trek movies there is the Borg whose memorable line is "resistance is futile" yet, the crew of the Enterprise -- Captain Picard in particular -- fight them and win.  Resistance is NOT futile.  Resistance is life itself.  We are born to live -- and yet our entire life is one of fighting approaching death.  Why do we fight death and dying?  I believe it is because we are "wired" for life.  We are made by God to seek eternal life.  We find it only in Him.

So, my conclusion is that "the good fight" is the one that resists "going with the flow."  It fights average/normal.  It is a constant battle against the forces arrayed against.  We die when we quit fighting.  I'm in this thing to win.  How about you?

1 comment:

Willy said...

You are partially right! Resistance or going against the stream is right if the destination desired is upstream. I have found in life that sometimes I am pushing against the tide because I have my head down obstinately rowing because I know I am right!. When in fact if I would throw out the anchor and look around the destination could be reached with an easier route.

Google