Thursday, February 23, 2012

Striving for Perfection

Somewhere deep inside each of us is the desire to be the very best that we can be at something.  What that something is can be known only to the individual.  For many children and adolescents that something is to be a superstar athlete.  For adults that desire may center around a job or career choice.  Whatever it might be, for most of us at least, there is a point in our life where we have a desire or vision of being the very best.

Then, life happens.  We get beat up and kicked around by the events that shape us.  We find that we don't possess the talent or skills to be the very best and we begin to reach accommodation with that fact.  We settle for something less than our ideal.  We achieve the rank of mediocrity.

What we see in this process that results in settling for mediocrity is the result of an internal battle between opposing forces.  The desire to be the best runs headlong into the "world."  Most of us don't know what to do about it, but the Bible gives us the answer.

The desire for the best is the desire for God.  It is a seed planted deep inside of us that impels us toward what we were made to do.

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” __ Jeremiah 1:5

The forces of the "world" is the dominion of Satan which is arrayed in opposition to God.  He has been given control over the systems and forces of this world.

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." __ Ephesians 6:12

When we seek by our own power to overcome the forces arrayed against us, we fail.  We settle for less than the best.  It is only by the power of God within us that we can achieve perfection.

I have been known to say, "perfection is not in me" when I managed to flub something up.  That is not true.  I have inside me the One who is perfect.  It is only when I fail to acknowledge Him and allow Him to lead me that I truly fail.

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." __ Philippians 4:13

'But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.' __ 2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments:

Google