Saturday, February 18, 2012

Profoundly Unmotivated

The third definition of profound in the Merriam Webster Dictionary is something "characterized by intensity of feeling or quality."  It fits.  I am absolutely and completely unmotivated today.

Most weekends I have something planned.  There is something that I either need or want to accomplish.  Not today.  I want to do nothing.  Yet, here I am writing a blog entry about it.  I suppose that seems a little self-defeating.  If I want to do nothing yet I am willfully doing something, then I must not truly want to do nothing!

OK, that's a bit convoluted.  In reality I do want to do something.  I want to write something profound.  But, I don't want to do the normal Saturday chores.  So, I sit here at the computer composing a profoundly ordinary post while sipping coffee from a Starbucks coffee mug that was a gift to me delivered to my hotel room at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville a couple of weeks ago.

The Starbucks mug is an important symbol in my quest for the profound.  I am looking at their symbol of the young woman with a crown and wondering what in the world it means.  So, I looked it up.  It is of the "twin-tailed siren" Melusine.  Here is a link so you can read about it yourself.  I'm not certain I know much more than I did before I looked it up, but it's interesting.

Now let's dig a little deeper.  What is the importance of Melusine?  I looked up Melusine.  It appears that for the Starbucks logo it must be used in the context of alchemy.  It symbolizes the union of "of earth and water, body and soul- and the vision of Universal Mercury, the all-pervading anima mundi that calls out and makes the philosopher yearn to her."  I can see that.  Coffee is grown in earth and water, is a stimulus due to the caffeine content and therefore addictive.  Coffee drinkers develop a craving for coffee.  The siren song -- come to me.....

Now that I've satisfied my addiction to coffee and to knowledge, I can go back to being unmotivated.  Is it too early for a nap?

Chris

No comments:

Google