Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lucky

I have mentioned in previous posts that I am not a believer in luck.  Chance, yes.  Luck, no.

I went through a stage years ago when I was envious of those whom I considered more successful than me.  They drove nice cars, lived in big houses and went on vacations to places about which I could only dream.  I was known to make comments about how lucky they were.

While it is true that some of them inherited their good fortune and others just happened to be in the right spot at the right time (chance), the majority of them were successful due to hard work.  Very rarely were those who had lots of money the employee of someone else.  They were almost all self-employed.

Through the years I have had the privilege to meet many very successful people.  Some are multi-millionaires and others are just at the top of their field of endeavor.  I have found some characteristics common to them all.  Self-confidence, thorough knowledge of their field and a willingness to work hard.

I guess the reason for today's post is a line that I found in the book I was reading over lunch.

'He shook his head.  "I don't believe in luck, Sam.  Luck is a tag given by the mediocre to account for the accomplishments of genius."' __ The Old Man in "The Puppet Masters," a science fiction novel by Robert A. Heinlein

Well said.

Chris

No comments:

Google