Monday, July 6, 2009

Once in a Lifetime?

Today I leave on a trip that for me, is probably the trip of a lifetime. I am headed to Africa.

There is a group of us. I'm the old man in the bunch. It is mostly college students.

We will be traveling to a country in West Africa where the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention has a mission. The trip is in support of that mission effort to reach a people group that is among the poorest in the world and in a country that is also one of the poorest in the world.

Where we will be traveling is located in the zone between the Sahara desert and the tropics. It is an area referred to as the Sahel. The expected temperature upon arrival in the capital city is 100 with a 100% chance of rain. The heat index will be 107.

It is not a vacation, however, we do get to spend about 1 1/2 days in London on the way there. A little sightseeing is planned.

I hope to be able to post an account of the trip on my return. All will be quiet on the blog until after the 21st.

3 comments:

Barbara Martin said...

How absolutely wonderful for you, Chris. I wish you all the best on your trip and blessings to keep you safe. I look forward to hearing about it, and photos too, please.

i beati said...

wondrous opportunity godspeed

bathmate said...

As always an excellent posting.The
way you write is awesome.Thanks. Adding more information will be more useful.

Bathmate

Google