Sunday, June 16, 2019

Happy Father's Day

We watched the College World Series game yesterday between Texas Tech and Michigan.  It was more than out of character for me to do so, but my better half is an extremely passionate fan of the Red Raiders.  I also am happy to see them do well although they are not my alma mater.

The game made me think of Dad.  He loved baseball.  I wanted to take him to the College World Series but, either never had the money, or the time, to make it happen.  It is one of those things I regret.  It was something he wanted to do, but was never able.

Baseball is a game that requires patience.  It isn't like football, or basketball, with the constant action.  In some ways golf is similar because of the duration, but golf is an individual sport with competitors going head-to-head while baseball is a team sport at the deepest level.  It requires constant situational awareness which changes continually throughout the game.  Every player is dependent on his teammates and must anticipate their response to each action.

I don't have the patience to watch it for any length of time simply because I don't have the passion for the game.

Today, on this Father's Day, I am listening to the thunder which is likely to persist throughout the day.  We have had rain since about 3:30 a.m. and it is expected until Midnight.  I don't know of any baseball games scheduled here today, but if there were, they would be rained out.  I'm sure the weather will put a damper on some cookouts though.  I'm sure that if they are watching baseball in heaven, Dad will be there -- unless he's playing, or golfing.

Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Google