Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Waking Up

Some mornings it seems really hard
To get myself in gear;
It's like a cloud hangs over me
And sleep seems oh, so dear.

But I drink a cup of coffee
And then a couple more,
Put on my boots, my hat and coat
And head right out the door

Into the frosty morning
With stars still shining bright
And the silence that surrounds me
Before the breaking light

Where my body slowly wakens
To the wonder that I meet
Or, maybe it's responding
To the obvious lack of heat

As I climb into my pickup
And crank the heater up to high
'Cause I need to check the cattle
Whose calving time is nigh.

There's ice to break and hay to feed
And maybe a new life
Born upon a frigid morn
Amidst the birthing strife.

And the sweat begins to trickle
'Neath the heavy clothes I wear
So I roll down my window
To let in some cool air

Then pausing in my labor
I begin to realize
That right there in the eastern sky
A brilliant sunrise

Has turned the frozen blades to crystal
And in spite of all the cold
I stand and look in wonder
At the colors painted bold

And know that I have wakened
Fully to the rising day
As I climb back in the pickup
And head on my merry way.

No comments:

Google