Monday, November 12, 2018

A Fish in the Woods

Yesterday, as I walked through the woods, I came upon a fish lying upon the ground.  It was at least 30 yards from the creek which contained only a small trickle of water -- maybe 6 or 8 inches deep between 10 foot banks.

The fish seemed to be completely undamaged -- there were no bite marks or wounds that were obvious, but it was not where it should be.  It was, of course, dead. (I sometimes find it necessary to state the obvious because it prevents the question:  "Was it dead?" from being asked.)

It may seem like a waste of mental energy to most people, but to me, I find it intriguing to speculate about this fish.  I immediately began to think of the "why's" of the fish being in that specific spot.  After all, I had never seen a fish lying upon the ground in the woods before.  In fact, I had previously questioned whether any fish ever occupied the nearby creek due to its seasonal nature since it is prone to being completely dry through much of the year, at other times will hold green stagnant pools that appear to be devoid of the silvery swimming creatures, but at still other times roars in flood far beyond the channel which it has carved across our place and those adjoining.

Since the summer drought finally broke back in September, we have had frequently recurring rains which have left our entire area saturated.  I am thankful for the moisture, but now, even the smallest rain merely runs off of the land and creates a flood through the bottomlands, scouring some areas of soil and piling it, along with the leaves and limbs which compose the normal detritus of the forest into deep and treacherous piles in other areas.  It also, apparently, leaves fish in places they don't belong.

The fish was quite simply left behind as the flood receded.

Sometimes I feel like that fish.  This world and this country are changing rapidly.  No matter how hard I try to keep up, the pace of change races ahead until I look around, shake my head and wonder what is happening.  I would prefer not to be that fish.



No comments:

Google