Friday, February 6, 2015

Sleep Where Ar't Thou.....

Don't you just hate those nights when you can't sleep well?  It may be that it is difficult to fall asleep for some reason, or worse yet, you go to bed exhausted and fall immediately to sleep, only to wake up an hour later and toss and turn the rest of the night.  Yeah, that was my night last night.

I was tired and went to bed at a reasonable hour.  I read some before turning out the light which is normal for me.  I must have fallen asleep almost immediately.  Then about 11:30 I woke up and felt as though I never truly went back to sleep again.

My head was filled with thoughts of loans and cattle and projects that needed done and on and on.  Nothing that I was really worried about, just thinking about them.  I couldn't turn it off.  I tried every technique I could think of.  Nothing seemed to work.  So, I tossed and turned.

One thing I've noticed on nights like that is the side I am lying on affects what I think about.  I can usually change my train of though by turning over and laying on my other side.  It probably has something to do with the fluid flows in my brain.  There does seem to be some correlation between the side on which I am lying and the type of thinking.  One side is more analytical and the other is more creative.  I suppose that ties with left-brain, right-brain thinking.

Anyway, today I get to deal with the consequences of less than the optimum amount of sleep.  I can usually convince myself that it doesn't matter -- at least for awhile.  But, by mid-afternoon it will likely catch up to me unless I can stay really busy. 

Don't you hate it when that happens -- especially on a Friday!  It may make for a really long day.

Chris

No comments:

Google