Monday, November 18, 2013

Is it Profound or Just Controversial?

I enjoy stirring things up on Facebook.  Those that know me well realize that I sometimes say things to provoke a discussion -- well, for some, it would be an argument.  I don't necessarily desire to be argumentative, but I almost always learn something when there are opposing view points to a subject, especially if those involved are passionate about the topic.

Politics is an easy one.  Religion is too.  I sometimes find it humorous at how quickly things can go from "playful banter" to the edge of anger. 

Passion is a good thing.  Uninformed passion is dangerous.  I think there is a lot of uninformed passion within our country today regarding politics.

Just the other day it was pointed out to me that you can't "win" an argument with reason when the other person is arguing from emotion.  They are unable to hear and understand logic when the pounding of emotion in their ears is as loud as a Bass Drum in the Fourth of July Parade.

I often say that I'm not really trying to "win" an argument; I merely want to provoke thought.  I like to have my own ideas challenged for the simple reason that it helps me to clarify my own thinking.  If I am wrong, I want to know.  If I am right, I want to be able to articulate my ideas clearly and succinctly.  If the truth is somewhere in the middle (which it often is), I want to "see" that and thereby gain wisdom.

I suppose my "quest" for understanding is selfish.  In the process I have offended almost everyone I can think of in my circle of Facebook Friends.  Hopefully, they have been challenged in their thinking.  After all, critical thinking is a skill that is much needed and woefully lacking in society today.  So, I will keep on making my "profound" statements on Facebook and stirring a little controversy here and there.  Hopefully, my offended friends and family will forgive me.

As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.  Proverbs 27:17

1 comment:

jbboren said...

You haven't offended me, yet, Chris. But then, I learned a long time ago that when someone disagrees with me, I need not take it personally, thus no offense is taken.

I wish more people could figure that out.

Google