Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Onward and Upward

It's a girl -- or, at least it is going to be in July. No, not my daughter -- a granddaughter. That was the news today.

It is hard to believe that in just a few short months I will be a grandfather. Although I'm looking forward to it, it seems like a huge leap forward in the cycle of my life. I have classmates that have been grandparents for years. I just don't feel old enough to be one!

It seems strange to me that most of us continue to feel young inside in spite of our bodies telling us that we are getting older. Logically, we should age mentally in the same way that we age physically. Admittedly, some people eventually reach a point where their mental faculties don't seem to be as sharp as they once were, but I think that's more a result of inactivity than of aging. There are many people who's mind continues to remain sharp and clear throughout their years, no matter how long they live.

Does this tell us something about the future? I'm referring to what happens after we physically die. Could it be that we are designed to remain mentally active and contributing members of society throughout our life? Maybe we are designed to continue to learn and grow as long as we are alive because that knowledge and growth extends into the next life. Our physical time on earth is limited by the durability of our bodies, but our mental capacity can remain undiminished because in some fashion perhaps, it continues after death.

I know that this is a strange line of thought, but it might well fit into the argument for life after death. To me, it is just one of many pieces of evidence that points to an eternal life. I'm glad that I'm prepared for it. Are you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you seem to be excited. I really have been worried. It's like y'all just don't want to talk about any of this...

Google